Lavender and Rose Sugar Scrub

When I worked in the news, I had the pleasure of becoming friends with my co-worker, who I affectionately call Deb Deb. We live in two different states now, but when we get together we stay up until all hours (seriously didn't stop talking until 4:30 AM!) reconnecting.

It had been a couple of years since last we were able to see each other. When she arrived not only was I thrilled to see her, but I was also thrilled she brought me gifts!!! (She would hate that I used 3 exclamation points.)

One of the gifts she brought me was a sugar scrub that she made. I had seen sugar scrubs on Pinterest before but always had my doubts. If it wasn't bar coded and from a store how could it work?

The next morning I tried it out in my shower. I have used it every morning since. I am hooked. I am now a believer in home made sugar scrubs. It leaves my feet super soft and it feels so luxurious to use. Frankly, its a morning treat. The sugar feels great being rubbed on and the rose petals look beautiful on my skin and make me feel special. Not a bad way to start the morning. 

In news girl fashion, I decided to interview Deb Deb about how she made made it, so I could share it with all of you. I have to say that interviewing her on sugar scrubs is very different then the stories we used to have to write about on grim world events. 











Why do you make sugar scrubs? Why not just buy them?

I’d seen some recipes for sugar scrubs and was intrigued. For one, the recipe seemed so simple, and I had all the ingredients! Making your own is a creative outlet when you don’t have a lot of time but want to pamper yourself or make a thoughtful gift for a friend.

What positives do sugar scrubs offer?
Sugar scrubs are meant to both exfoliate and moisturize your skin. Plus, you add a luscious scent of your own – personalize and play with the scrub. I want to try using mint next time – why not try an herb? Add maybe add some lemon scent and call it lemon verbena? Use your imagination.



How many different types do you make?

I’ve made lavender and a mixture of rose and lavender. One was using almond oil, the other olive oil. I’ll be trying coconut oil soon, as well, which is another option. Really, my choice was guided by the fact I had both dried lavender from my garden and roses I’d dried and saved. That they’re two of my favorite scents was also an incentive to get started.





Let's talk about this scrub, the lavender and rose, where do you get the lavender and rose?

I take roses right before they droop from the vase, hang them upside down and let them dry. When fully dry, which takes a few days, I put them in a vase. For texture, I scrunched up a couple heads finely so bits of rose petal are in the batch pictured. I’ve also done lavender, as seen in the picture, and this is a dried batch of lavender leaves I’d grown in my garden, harvested and dried. Then scrunch them up a bit as you add them to your recipe bowl. These retain their scent, unlike the roses, and add a nice texture to the mix.






What type of sugar do you use?
I’ve used regular, garden variety sugar and also organic sugar. Both work fine, though the latter is a light brown. Think about how the color can work with your flower or scent choice.

How long does the process take?
If you have everything ready, about 10 minutes!

How long can one use the scrub?
Most recommend that since water from the tub gets a bit into the scrub to use the up once opened to finish within a month’s time.

Recipe?
2 cups
¾ cup oil
Rose and/or lavender (or other) essential oil(s)
Handful of lavender or rose petals scrunched up finely
Small jars – mine came from Michael’s but you could even use small mason jars.

Mix in ingredients in a bowl – a wooden spoon works great to stir. Then add your choice of essence. I bought mine from Whole Foods. There are different choices and I think it’s really important with lavender – since there are different scents, some a bit woody – to smell and get the right brand and exact fragrance you desire. Actually, you can really choose any oil scent you like and play with options, because it’s from the oil that you get the scrub’s scent, the lavender or roses just add texture.
A note on fragrance…I’d read 10 drops of rose or lavender oil, but I found that wasn’t enough. Mine also has to be shaken out of the bottle, so more than a drop comes out at a time. So I put 20 shakes rose and added maybe 10 shakes lavender. Let your nose be your guide. Start conservatively and mix together, smell, determine if you want to add more. I found almond oil seemed to obscure the scent somewhat and like a mild olive oil better. One can also add a little more oil, if you like that feel better in your scrub.

Can people order from you? (not a sponsored story!)
For fun, I've listed some scrub on Etsy so yes, they can. My store on Etsy is called Semper Varietas.

Deb Piroch is a freelance journalist with a creative bent to all her free time. She gardens, crochets, decoupages, paints and “scrubs” in Birmingham, AL.




Labels: